Sunday, July 8, 2007

On Fern Canyon Trail

Today I hiked up from Devil’s Thumb to Fern Canyon Trail until it became so steep that I had to stop. Along the way I saw many wildflowers and tried to capture them with the still relatively new digital camera, but alas I am an amateur. There were several people on the trail, all friendly and happy to be there. The craggy area to the right of the trail was closed off to preserve wildlife, including eagles said to be nesting there, although the sign was circumspect about this and did not disclose the eagle part, probably to discourage exploration that would disturb the nests. There was also a statement clearly meant for climbers that mentioned a permanent closure of the area to climbing if climbers violated the closure period (I guess the $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail wasn’t enough of a threat).

I kept my eye on the sky but only spotted a chickadee on an upper branch, no big birds. I also spotted a black squirrel with his pointy ears, peering down at me from an upper branch, skittering around the tree trunk in alarm and making a bruck-bruck-bruck sound reminiscent of a chicken. I tried to capture him too with the camera, but was unsuccessful. Oh, well, if you insist, here is my best shot. I haven’t yet learned to click the shutter first and ask questions later. I missed a bee on one of the flowers the same way. I was happy to see a bee, given the dire news about the possibility that cell phones and other interference are confusing the honeybees and preventing them from their usual pollinating flight patterns.

As I spotted species after species of wildflower my thoughts turned to my mother who loved to quote the scientific genus and species for plants as she spotted them on a hike. I have tried to identify a few of the flowers I saw, in memory of her. I think that this one is a Siberian Aster, Aster sibiricus.

I also saw a yellow cactus flower. I think the cactus is a prickly pear, Opuntia phaeacantha, but am not sure. This is the first time I remember seeing a cactus flower in the wild.

Headed back down the trail I noticed some purple thistles, quite beautiful in their varying range, from flowers to fluff. The wildflower book mentions a variety called Hooker's Thistle, Cirsium hookerianum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the first picture. It is now my background.

Your aster is bee's balm. the botanical name is monarda didyma. it is in the mint family and comes in lots of different colors - purples, reds. It is one of my favorites!!!!