Saturday, September 1, 2007

Breathe

I have been working on taking deep breaths that fill my lungs and push out my belly, and then holding for a second and releasing the air in a big whoosh through my mouth. As I practice this, I sometimes relax into a state of well being, and often I yawn. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems occasionally I am rewarded with the tiniest rush of endorphin. I think this means I'm doing it right. I practice this several times a day, when walking, stretching, driving, sitting at the computer or bouncing on the ball I now have in my office.

I remember my Dad used to hold his breath, then release it in a rush through pursed lips: pffffff. He did it when he was working hard, concentrating on a delicate task of some sort, or otherwise working with his hands. I used to think he was just forgetting to breath, holding his breath as he concentrated and releasing it all at once when he remembered. However, Dad was stationed in France during World War II and one of his jobs was to defuse bombs. He rarely discussed this so I can only speculate: Could it be that way back then, at age 20, he had instinctively learned a way to breath that was calming and head-clearing, producing focus and mindfulness for a dangerous and delicate task?

Eckhart Tolle had this to say in "A New Earth:
"Someone recently showed me the annual prospectus for a large spiritual organization. When I looked through it, I was impressed by the wide choice of interesting seminars and workshops. It reminded me of a smorgasbord...The person asked me whether I could recommend one or two courses. "I don't know," I said. "They all look so interesting. But I do know this," I added. "Be aware of your breathing as often as you are able, whenever you remember. Do that for one year, and it will be more powerfully transformative than attending all of these courses. And it's free."

He also says:
...Being aware of your breath forces you into the present moment--the key to all inner transformation. Whenever you are conscious of your breath, you are absolutely present. You may also notice that you cannot think and be aware of your breathing. Conscious breathing stops your mind--but you are fully awake and highly alert."
So simple a concept: Remember to Breath.

No comments: