Monday, November 5, 2007

The Great Wild Goose Pagoda - Xi'an, China

Another place I had a chance to visit while in Xi’an, China recently was the Great Wild Goose Pagoda. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens and many statues of Buddha. It was built in 652 during China’s Tang Dynasty.

Two white stone lions guarded the entrance to the Pagoda. In the garden nearby was a large golden Buddha and people were waiting in line to kneel before the statue. In a building nearby there were many niches with Buddhas deep inside, shining golden or glowing with blue backlight in the darkness, cushions at each station for those who wished to meditate or pay respects.

People were lighting candles and buying incense to light and burn at one spot.

Beautiful and colorful wall decorations and paintings surrounded the niches containing the various Buddha statues, including this one featuring one of my favorite shades of blue. The Great Wild Goose Pagoda was one of the more exotic sights I saw while in China, and I was glad I made it one of my tour stops.

No comments: