Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Deer Valley Road After Christmas

On the day after Christmas the sun is brilliant on the new snow and the sky is Colorado blue. I dress in numerous layers against the 10-degree chill and pocket my camera. The snow is crisp under my boots and makes that crick-crick sound as I head uphill, across Broadway, up Dartmouth to Deer Valley Road. On the way up an elderly lady ventures carefully down her drive and onto the newly shoveled sidewalk in front of her house, walking stick in hand. We say hello and agree that it is a fine morning if you don’t have to shovel. I tell her of my plan to take some pictures of the snow-covered foothills further up. She is impressed that I have already walked this far up the steep hill from the other side of Broadway. Her son is coming to get her in awhile and they plan to drive around taking pictures.

As she ventures further along the sidewalk I say, “Be careful on the snow.”

She says, “That’s what this is for,” and smiles as she gestures with the walking stick. “Have a good day, my dear.”

And with that benediction from a wise woman, I feel blessed. I wish I could sit down with her over a cup of tea and have a long conversation and learn all she has to tell me. One day will a young woman somewhere wish that about me? I continue to the top, and the foothills are beautiful, covered in thick white. The camera can never capture the sparkle of sunlight on snow but I try anyway.

Joggers and dogwalkers join me in admiring the beauty of the day. I have discarded my sunglasses because I want to soak up every bit of sunlight possible. I walk back down the hill to Caffe Sole and order a skinny latte, double shot, in a real glass. I like Caffe Sole because it is not a chain, so it has little unique touches like a self-serve “express coffee” station with a hand-lettered sign posting prices for various sizes and $1.25 if you have your own cup, with a jar where you leave your money on the honor system. Two guys sit next to me over coffee discussing an on-line business venture. Two women my age at a nearby table are having a heartfelt conversation and seem to be enjoying each other’s company. A very beautiful young woman with long blonde hair wearing a gray knit cap with a bill talks to a besotted young man who wears his hair burr short with several tiny braids sprouting from the back of his head.

I feel very present, and suddenly am sure that any fear or sadness I feel is purely my own doing. If I can just stay awake and remember that one idea, I will be so much happier in 2008. So much more will seem possible. I am getting some perspective with my time off, apparently. Reading “The Four Agreements” again is helping – it still makes a lot of sense, even though the style seems kind of rough around the edges.

5 comments:

Ronna said...

Oh, Lynn. You might be surprised that I am a younger woman that would have tea with you and suss out your words of wisdom and blessings. I think you don't remember giving me "Tea for the Tillerman" when I was young and staying with you and my brother, but you did and this action gave you some great mythical qualities. OR maybe not so mythical really. I've always loved you as if you were Joni Mitchell herself. Now if that doesn't give your ego a thrill, I don't know what would.

: ] ronna

Lynn said...

R - wow, that was one of the finest things anybody ever said to me and I am pretty old. Thank you.

Love, Lynn

Anonymous said...

Your writing is becoming very, well, excellent. This sequence is most wonderful. I am inspired to finish the book I am half way through and also inspired for our upcoming lunch in which I plan to "confess" my New Year's Resolutions" to you. You, one of my most admired folk in my life. KEEP WRITING!!

Taunya

Anonymous said...

This post is fab!!! I think all this posting is really making your writing skills, well, excellent!!! I can so feel the "warmth" of the winter chill experience in your writing. And the photo is my new background on my computer replacing the trail photo of your hike up Bear Peak.

It is an amazing experience to feel the wonder of a winter wonderland. The quiet right before the crunch of your step. I LOVE IT!

Taunya

Lynn said...

Thanks, Taunya! I have the picture as my background too. I do enjoy writing these and am glad somebody enjoys reading them. - Lynn