Sunday, September 21, 2008

News Flash: I’m a woman who doesn’t wear lipstick – and I vote

I am utterly amazed at some women who were for Hillary who are now saying that with McCain’s nomination of Sarah Palin they will vote for that ticket. Palin’s positions on almost every issue you can name are diametrically opposed to Hillary Clinton’s positions. Sarah’s womanhood, in and of itself, does not sway me in the least. And I am very weary indeed of all the references to lipstick as some red badge of courage for womanhood. Lipstick is a choice for women like any other choice (and God knows we need our choices), but as a symbol it stinks. Please, please – can we get back to important issues like what the hell we are going to do about the economy and the war and health care? Just say no to lipstick politics.

No comments: