Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Stress, Eustress, We All Stress

I learned a new word from a friend’s blog recently: Eustress. It means “good stress,” as opposed to the opposite kind, distress. It’s the kind of stress that’s supposed to give you a positive feeling of fulfillment. Examples might be getting a promotion at your job, childbirth, riding a roller coaster. The challenge is that your body reacts pretty much the same to either eustress or distress; the whole key then is to learn how to adapt to change whether positive or negative.

My “How I Stay Sane” blogs are all about some of the various approaches I’ve discovered for adapting to change and being awake enough to find equilibrium through these changes. It ain’t easy, I know that much. Despite all my efforts it’s still a challenge when I face the inevitable unknowns implied by major life change.

One of the most immediately helpful techniques I’ve found is to focus on the here and now, and finding little ways I can make the world a better place right this second as I take the next small step in my life. If I’m headed somewhere on business and I’m worried about how well I might fare on this trip, it helps me to break the planning for the journey and the journey itself down into very small steps in which I strive to be completely present and do the very best I can each step of the way.

I check my bag and tip the guy a little extra; when he wishes me a good day I look him in the eye, smile, and return the favor. I smile again as I help the young mother who has just dropped the diaper bag near the top of the escalator and is looking lost and flustered; I steer her to the nearby elevator that will be much easier for her and her toddler. I speak calmly to the tiny elderly lady in the seat next to mine whose eyes are large and whose hands are shaking a little as she tells me this is her very first flight. As the plan takes off, I take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and remember a peaceful walk through the forest I took awhile back.

These are all little choices that make the world a tiny bit better for me and often for those around me. They take me outside my inner world of anxiety and what-ifs and disaster scenarios and help me remember the Desiderata mantra: No doubt things are unfolding as they should. They work for both types of stress: the distress of a flight back home to help a very sick family member, and perhaps the eustress a person might feel about a flight to San Francisco to start an exciting two-month internship in a genetics lab.

What are your methods for dealing with *stress?

No comments: