Sunday, June 27, 2010

Are Newspapers Necessary?

Doonesbury has had a string of great strips lately on that antiquity, the newspaper.  To many younger people who are constantly online, newspapers seem old fashioned and ridiculously cumbersome.  I’ve been trying to clarify in my own mind why it’s just the opposite for me, why I’ve been fervently grateful for newspapers most of my life.

On Sunday mornings we get The New York Times, which certainly gives a broader and better perspective for the week than the Sunday Boulder Daily Camera.  Usually, as is the case today, we fold up beloved sections like “Week in Review” and “The New York Times Book Review” and stuff them in our backpacks prior to leaving the house.  Wherever we end up for coffee after our drive or walk, we have them handy and they can be guaranteed to offer up new ideas and happenings--information we do not know we don’t know.   

Today we sit outside Starbucks on Pearl Street in the perfect June air and M points out an article about the appalling idea of implanting e-books into one’s retina.  Presumably newspapers would also be available this way.  For someone like me who is still leery of considering laser surgery to correct my astigmatism, this seems beyond the pale.

Newspapers are more versatile than computers or e-books. You can read a newspaper anywhere and anytime you like, unencumbered by details like unavailability of free wireless Internet, lack of convenient power outlets, failing batteries or electrical equipment.  If you’re on a beach you can get smears of sunscreen sprinkled with sand and seagull droppings on your newspaper and really be none the worse for wear.  After you’ve finished reading the paper you can cut clippings from it to send to children in faraway cities or to be magnetically posted on the refrigerator door.

Long ago on humid summer nights in Indiana, those with the knowhow could shape and twist newspapers into loosely formed balloons and light them on the bottom edges.  The fire balloons would then gently lift and soar aloft, rising with the heat upward and upward into the dark night sky to be transformed into sparkling gold and black lace against the stars, with only the fireflies the wiser. 

If all else fails and you have no parakeets whose cages need lining or puppies who need emergency haven, you can recycle newspapers and they will live to see another day.

You can truly focus when reading a newspaper if you like, and not be lured to other links and obligations like checking your e-mail again or peeking to see if anybody likes you on Facebook. 

I will not go so far as to say newspapers are essential to my sense of wellbeing but with some good coffee in the morning, they do contribute positively.  Is this, then, an irreconcilable generation gap as the youth reads their news on the laptop screen each morning? To my broad blog readership, especially those under 25, I pose this question:  “Are newspapers necessary?

2 comments:

Jim L said...

I'm not in the target demographic of your question (since I am soon going to be twice that age), but I will answer anyway. I hardly ever look at a paper. We still get one because Les likes to look through it and see the weddings and deaths (as a former long-term care nurse she often exclaims, "Oh, I used to take care of them!" whilst reading the obits).

For me, the local paper is summed up as "the Daily Disappointment," as my dad calls it. But then, he's called every local paper that wherever he's lived going all the way back to the Daily Camera (which is where he first coined the term), and they haven't lived in Boulder since the 1970s. :o)

So, yeah - I get most of my news online, or via the radio (NPR). And then I go into periodic "news sabbaticals" (I feel another approaching soon) and don't expose myself to news at all for weeks or months at a time, on purpose. Because nothing ever changes, anyway.

Lynn said...

So from your perspective the focus of the blog should have been "is *news* necessary?" - and I have wondered that as well at times. I'm considering going cold turkey on news for awhile - but so far I don't have the will. As John Prine said, "all the news just repeats itself, like some forgotten dream that we've both seen."