Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Am I Not Serene Yet?

     “Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm”

One of my plans for the new year is to find a path toward greater serenity. Here are my top ten ways to become more serene:

10. Minding my own business rather than everybody else's.
9. Letting go of things I can't control.
8. Opening my mind to greater spirituality.
7. Counting my many blessings.
6. Taking care of myself with healthy food and exercise, and remembering to breathe.
5. Connecting with other people.
4. Focusing outside myself on ways I can be useful to others in need.
3. Listening to my heart to know what I want and need.
2. Spending time in fresh air, sunshine and nature.
1. Living in the moment rather than regretting the past or fearing the future.

Any others you want to add?

5 comments:

Jim L said...

Pretty good list all in all, but your forgot:

0. Practicing patience, dammit!

Lynn said...

Dammit it, Jim - once you're serene the patience comes free of charge!

Jim L said...

"Serenity now!"
- Frank Costanza

nellweatherwax@gmail.com said...

I would add fun. Finding some way to feel real delight and have fun at least once a day. Preferably with something that is creative. That would fall pretty naturally out of "listening to what I want and need" I guess.

Lynn said...

Wow, you are right. I completely left out having fun in all my earnestness and it is a glaring omission. I need to take another look at my collection of laughing buddhas. Thanks for the comment.