Friday, September 19, 2014

Flying Into a Rage


"People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing." - Will Roger

I heard a story recently about a romance that ended because the woman, a psychiatrist ironically enough, had a tendency to fly into a rage--an activity I've always believed to be singularly useless. I can only remember actually doing it a couple of times, both of which I thoroughly regret. More often I detour around rage, prompted by numerous signs along the roadside:

Potential Rage Ahead
Warning! Rage May Ensue
Trucks Shift Into Lower Gear, Rage in 1.5 Miles
In Case of Rage, Climb to Higher Ground

Isn't there always higher ground to climb to, or is there a place for flying into a rage? I once deliberately geared myself up to fly into a vicious rage with somebody I loved very much, not to release pent up anger but more in hopes I might finally persuade him to change and choose a less self-destructive path. Here is a list of activities on that same level of futility:

* Banging your head against a stone wall
* Pissing in the wind, tilting at windmills, clutching at straws
* Changing practically anything but your own reactions
* Sewing a cambric shirt without seams or needlework
* Finding an acre of land between the salt water and the sea sand

See also Scarborough Fair with a shout out to folk singers everywhere.
"But everybody needs to vent," you say.

Venting is different--properly done, it's letting off steam with somebody who cares enough about you to be sympathetic just long enough and no longer, lest you find yourself in a rut.  Whereas indulging in full-on rage usually results in your saying hateful things you don't really mean in a nuclear escalation that often includes you subsequently hearing hateful things from the distant past and/or your misbegotten youth.

Instead, release the pressure a bit at a time with patience and direct communication, and nobody gets hurt. Clare Pinkola Estes tells the story of the faithful wife's long search for the tiger's eyelashes, a promised cure for her husband's debilitating post-traumatic stress. In the end, the patience that was required to obtain the tiger's eyelashes was itself the cure.  What her husband needed most was her patience and love.  Rage was just an unnecessary and stressful stop along the way.

All of that said, I am working on being more comfortable with anger, which is not the enemy, but a friend, a signpost pointing to situations demanding a closer look. It is okay to feel anger (and any other feeling), and nothing to fear. The key is what happens next.

4 comments:

Jim L said...

I, unfortunately, have found myself in a rage more than twice. It doesn't happen (as) often (any more). One time was almost job-ending. Luckily I had a boss take a big swing at-bat for me, send me to some training, and give me a second chance, and that gave me some tools. But I have still "lost it" a few times sense.

Poking and prodding (and thinking about the training over the years), the thing that always triggers it with me is some challenge that trips the fight-or-flight reaction in the amygdala. Once that happens, it's pretty much game over except for the messy cleanup.

So the training focused on how to be able to sense those situations before they get to that point. That can be hard. I still fail at it sometimes. But I have been successful more often than not.

Now I just want to be successful at it all the time. :)

Lynn said...

Thanks for the comment, Jim. Since I posted this I got a recommendation for a book called "The Dance of Anger" by Harriet Lerner. A very useful discussion about patterns of anger in different types of relationships, how anger can be useful as a signal, how to recognize the patterns and more importantly change them. My biggest anger has been in cases where I feel I am not being heard and/or respected. The book talks about drivers of anger in a fight, e.g. fighting about "pseudo issues" rather than the real problem, and attempting to change another person through argument. Also about triangles (indirect anger through a third party).

Jim L said...

Learned about triangles through Murray Bowen's family systems theory in a class for MSR. They are amazingly easy to fall into and hard to catch.

I see I can't read the Lerner book because it's for women. :)

Lynn said...

I can't disagree that Lerner focuses on the woman's point of view much of the time, and yet I believe the concepts in the book have value for both genders.

I hadn't read Murray's theories; will have to take a closer look at that.