Sunday, December 17, 2006

Presents


I have known my husband for almost 35 years. But it is only yesterday when we were selecting paper to have some books gift-wrapped that I learned the most important criterion from his standpoint for Christmas wrap. It must be shiny, foil-laced, and capable of reflecting light. Then the gifts under the lighted tree will have that special magic glow (think Ralphie in "A Christmas Story). He takes the same approach when placing ornaments on the Christmas tree, often lingering to perfectly place the ornaments with many faceted centers near lights for the added sparkle.

I am not very inspired at gift giving, and have to rely on madly entering ideas into my Blackberry as they fall from the lips of my loved ones throughout the year. Usually by December I have a pretty good list (you didn’t think I was one of those people who starts shopping before December, did you?).

My husband is famously unschooled in gracious gift reception. In fact, in October he actually got a “Worst-Case Scenario Birthday Card” with helpful principles on what to say when you have just received yet another sincere yet ill-conceived gift from your wife or children. “Do not lie,” and “Thank the giver for the thought, not the gift,” are two of these basic concepts. Supporting phrases are also provided such as “I can’t tell you how much this means to me.”

My personal best when it comes to a Christmas present for my husband was the year I surprised him with a Fender Stratocaster guitar and amplifier. He was absolutely not expecting this gift, and it turned out to be just what he wanted. He still can’t tell me how much it means to him, in fact.

Merry Christmas to everybody out there who is celebrating it - and don't forget to have fun giving gifts.

No comments: