Sunday, April 25, 2010

Earth Day 1970


White tents and booths with information on compost piles and solar panels have sprung up in Boulder’s Civic Park for Earthfest on this partly sunny spring day. I remember the very first Earth Day, in 1970. I was a member (I might actually have been president, I can’t recall for sure) of the Edgewood High School Ecology Club. One of our main projects was to build a large brightly painted wooden box with a hinged lid which we placed just outside the entrance to the grocery store in Ellettsville, Indiana. Here, ecology-minded citizens could deposit their newspapers and cardboard for recycling (back then, this was pretty much the full range of our ability to recycle materials, at least in Ellettsville). Periodically when the box was overflowing and the grocery store manager’s annoyance had reached its peak, we would borrow a truck, load all the newspapers into the back, and drive to the west side of Bloomington where there was a place we could unload the papers for recycling.

Today in Boulder we have three separate containers right outside our house, one for paper, cardboard, glass and plastic, one for compost material (vegetables, egg shells, coffee grounds) and one for the irredeemably unrecyclable remaining crap, which we try through good buying habits to keep to a minimum. The contents of each of these are conveniently hauled off on a regular basis as part of our trash service. We have a little white ceramic compost collector by the sink lined with a pale green compostable bag and I always feel a tiny sense of accomplishment when I carry one of these full bags of vegetable discard out to the larger compost container. We are lightweights, however, as there are other people right in our neighborhood with their own compost piles and large vegetable gardens on which they spread the compost they generate. Even so, we continue to make small strides to better honor Mother Earth and hope that the larger initiatives for renewable energy will take hold.

Another thing my Ecology Club did back in 1970 was create and perform a short save-the-earth skit at various schools in the area, and at the end of the skit as the finale we paraded into the audience singing a song, me leading the way with my trusty guitar. Our teacher and sponsor was Mrs. Wilt, a tiny bespectacled woman with long black hair whose quietly radical teaching style somehow slipped under the radar of our rabidly conservative school administration back then. She selected and helped us learn a song for our traveling ecology road show; peculiarly enough in retrospect, the song was “Suicide is Painless,” the theme from Mash:

Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The things that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see
That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I could take or leave it if I please…

So, “WTF?” you might well ask, children (because only my children could possibly still be reading this, and I can’t be certain of that). I think the song was meant in this context to evoke the same concept as the image of the unaware frog in the bath being slowly brought to a boil. And thus ends another strange tale of long ago and far away in Ellettsville, Indiana, US of A.

6 comments:

Jim L said...

"because only my children could possibly still be reading this, and I can’t be certain of that"

Ha! I read it ALL! :o)

My teacher like that was Mr. Lund at Casey Jr. High. Except he wasn't "under the radar," he was right out there. Helped us publish an "underground newspaper" on the school mimeograph machine.

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

I regularly check in and read this too! Indeed I remember being part of the club and the putting together the recycling effort. My mother began then and has continued ever since due to our early efforts. I do remember singing the song, Mrs. Wilt and the words.
I also remember baking alternative foods to the limited cafeteria fare: remember the whole wheat breads? Janet

Lynn said...

Wow, Janet, your remember! Sometimes I think I'm the only one left who does remember those high school days in Ellettsville.

Lynn said...

Jim - what about putting some memoirs in your blog to counterbalance the cooking?

L

Jim L said...

Lynn,

I think you may understand the raw-ness behind what I am going to say, but:

I don't write what's in my head because I would never stop. And I don't mean that in a Good Way.

I am broken. I see no need to perpetuate that meme...The planet's got plenty of examples without my middle-aged, drunk, WASP self-pitying expressing itself.

But that's just me. How's YOUR Monday?

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Sometimes I feel broken too and I admit that I usually write a lot less during those periods. One theme that gets reinforced for me over and over is the connection we all have with every other living thing - whether we are able to recognize that connection or not. Some call it love.

I am available to talk if you would like to talk.

Lynn