Sunday, April 25, 2010

Thank God for Books

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who read voraciously, necessarily, constantly—and those who do not. I am one of the former. Books are a huge comfort to me, a light in my life, an inspiration, and a reliable way to see the world in fresh perspective. When I am low, I can often climb back out of the sinkhole by picking up a good book.

I observed the recent gadget frenzy over the release of the iPad with curiosity. The idea of reading books via electronic medium is not new, but the iPad is said to reach a new level of elegance and ease-of-use, and to make the act of reading a book a new and better experience than the old-fashioned way with the pages that must be turned by hand, the well-worn covers from rough backpack rides, the used book experience of occasional encounters with strangers’ opinions scribbled in margins usually with no added value, the teetering piles of books on the nightstand and on the floor next to the nightstand, the Tom and Jerry battle between you and your purge-happy spouse who (although also a voracious reader) dislikes clutter and periodically spirits off boxes of what he considers to be “junk fiction.”

After the initial hubbub subsided last week I ventured into the Apple store to see the iPad. I am not an Apple user normally so it took me a little while to figure out the user interface (you press the on button to go back to the main desktop). The one I looked at did not have a book on it to “page” through, which was my primary interest. I look at computer screens all day long—do I want to associate this latest gadget with the pleasure of reading? When I read a book, I like to focus on it, and it alone.  (I know not everybody reads this way but I once almost missed a flight out of Chicago to Paris because I was so engrossed in the book I was reading.)   Do I want my book-reading experience to include the constant option for yet another distraction--the option to be instantly lured away to this or that website whenever I have the urge? My God, have I become a neo-Luddite? Nevertheless, at this point, my thinking is: “Hell no, I won’t go.” But one day, I may well feel differently.

One of my favorite writers, Anna Quindlen, had a great column in Newsweek recently called “Turning the Page,” which was in part about the question of whether iPads and other devices like it foretell the end of books as we know them. She reminds us that some said radio would end when television arrived on the scene, but NPR begs to differ. Her conclusion rings true to me:

“Reading is not simply an intellectual pursuit but an emotional and spiritual one. It lights the candle in the hurricane lamp of self; that’s why it survives. There are still millions of people who like the paper version, at least for now. And if that changes, well, what is a book really? Is it its body, or its soul? Would Dickens have recognized a paperback of “A Christmas Carol,” or, for that matter, a Braille version? Even on a cell phone screen, Tiny Tim can God-bless us, every one.”

5 comments:

Jim L said...

For a naysayer for using the iPad for reading, read this. Basically, the screen is too shiny - it's not e-ink, and that's a problem for long-term reading (as opposed to ADHD reading that most people do now).

If I were still a road-warrior I would be sore-tempted to buy a Kindle or a Nook, simply for the convenience of not having to schlep around two or three books. Jim's rules for travelers #1 - "Never, ever, EVER enter an airport without at least two books, unless you know the airport has an excellent bookstore (Heathrow, Gatwick, Cleveland)."

But I, like you, will always love real books. The smell of them. The feel of them. Those notations from past owners (I LOVE browsing in bookstores, and especially used bookstores), and sometimes even my own notations, letting me see the person I used to be, often from quite a distance.

Lynn said...

Your airport rule is much like mine - I have an absolute horror of being stuck in an airport (which of course can happen at any time during air travel) without backup reading material.

I haven't looked at a Kindle - might be more inclined to like it. I do like the idea of instantaneous, easy access to lots and lots of titles (did I hear 100,000 free titles w/ the Kindle?).

L

Anonymous said...

I have a Kindle, Lynn, and love it. Some kinds of books I still purchase in paper; but, for the sorts of books that get schlepped out of your house in boxes, I use the Kindle. It is perfect for travel, and works like charm when you finish a book late at night and want the next in the series *right now*. I can't imagine reading a book on the iPad because of the back-lighting. The Kindle does one thing, and does it well. --la

Lynn said...

Okay - I'm getting more and more inspired and just looked on the Kindle website for more information. Have you used the feature where it will read to you when your eyes get tired? Does that really work?

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work for me, and not just because the voice is robotic. I don't listen to audiobooks either because they put me to sleep, no matter how good the reader. (David, on the other hand, loves them.) Before you make the decision, call me -- I'll gladly answer questions. I was surprised at how quickly I grew to love this device. It is the only non-sentient entity I've been tempted to name. :)